Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Yams

This recipe is a huge favorite of mine. I found it in a wonderful cookbook, Flavours of the Spice Coast by Mrs. K M Mathew. If you are the kind of cookbook fiend that I am, then go out and buy this book!


Kerala Yam

(adapted from here)

2 cups Yam, diced
4 cups Water
2 tsp Shallots
3 dried Red Chillies
1/2 tsp Peppercorns
6 cloves Garlic
4 Curry Leaves
2 tsp Oil
Salt, to taste

Cook yam with the water, and add salt to taste. Drain.

Crush onions, red chillies, garlic, peppercorn, curry leaves together. Heat oil and saute the crushed ingredients.

Add the cooked yam pieces and when gently coated, remove from oil. Serve warm.

6 comments:

MaryMoh said...

This looks very delicious....mmmm. I like it.

Bhavani said...

I just bought yams and have been staring at them since then.LOL thanks for the recipe.And I love that bowl.

Rachel said...

a fav of mine.. both the book and the recipe. How have you been?

Chitra said...

Yummy yam :)

Alisa said...

Yam is yum! I love your recipes here!I hope you won't mind,I'd love to guide Foodista readers to this post.Just add the yam widget to the end of this post and it's all set, Thanks!

Arundathi said...


Thanks everyone.

@ Rachel - been good! long time...!